mahout-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Eastman" <jeast...@collab.net>
Subject RE: Google Summer of Code[esp. More Clustering]
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:45:11 GMT
Hi Matthew,

As with most open source projects, "interest" is mainly a function of
the willingness of somebody to contribute their energy. Clustering is
certainly within the scope of the project. I'd be interested in
exploring additional clustering algorithms with you and your colleague.
I'm a complete noob in this area and it is always enlightening to work
with students who have more current theoretical exposures.

Do you have some links on these approaches that you find particularly
helpful?

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Riley [mailto:mriley@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 11:11 PM
To: mahout-dev@lucene.apache.org; mainec@isabel-drost.de
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code

Hey everyone-

I've been watching the mailing list for a little while now, hoping to
contribute once I became more familiar, but I wanted to jump in here now
and
express my interest in the Summer of Code project. I'm currently a
graduate
student in electrical engineering at UT-Austin working in computer
vision,
which is closely tied to many of the problems Mahout is addressing
(especially in my area of content-based retrieval).

What can I do to help out?

I've discussed some potential Mahout projects with another student
recently-
mostly focused around approximate k-means algorithms (since that's a
problem
I've been working on lately). It sounds like you guys are already
implementing canopy clustering for k-means- Is there any interest in
developing another approximation algorithm based on randomized kd-trees
for
high dimensional data? What about mean-shift clustering?

Again, I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Matt

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Isabel Drost <mainec@isabel-drost.de>
wrote:

> On Saturday 01 March 2008, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> > Also, any thoughts on what we might want someone to do?  I think it
> > would be great to have someone implement one of the algorithms on
our
> > wiki.
>
> Just as a general note, the deadline for applications:
>
> March 12: Mentoring organization application deadline (12 noon
PDT/19:00