mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject CHANGES.txt vs. JIRA
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:22:16 GMT
I noticed the other day that Hadoop just uses JIRA to publish the
CHANGES.txt.  Seems a lot easier to me, but wanted to see if anyone
prefers having a local version that they can edit.

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel

Versus Lucene Java's form:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_2_3_0/CHANGES.txt

The JIRA version is also less work, but at the tradeoff that it isn't
as obvious who gets "credit" for the patch since you have to dig
through URLs, etc.

I don't know how hard it would be to add it in JIRA, maybe we could
add a "credit" field onto the fixed screen such that the committer,
when resolving it can add the credits.

Or, maybe people don't care about the credits.  For me, I don't care,
but I'm already a committer.  It may be helpful to have the credits
when nominating new committers or maybe people want to be able to show
their bosses the good work they've done.

In other words, I am open to whatever others want.

-Grant