mahout-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Machine Resources [was Re: Confluence Wiki]
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:39:12 GMT

On Jan 25, 2008, at 11:43 PM, Mason Tang wrote:

> Also, is there any chance we'll be able to get a small (and I mean
> small) cluster to run some tests on?  Local Hadoop testing only gets
> you so far...

Yeah, this type of thing is perennially a problem.  I think we will
have to beg/borrow/steal (just kidding on the steal).  I think the key
will be to get local stuff running and then start looking around for
resources.  Amazon EC2 is an obvious place, but short of someone
donating time on it, I am not sure how we would come about it.

I don't know enough about Apache's infrastructure to know whether
there is enough to cobble together.  Committers can get access to
Lucene's zones (virtual server) machine.  I know that it is a problem
that Nutch faces as well, presumably.  Hadoop, luckily, is fairly well
supported by Yahoo! and other companies with machine access.  My hope
is if we can show some promise with code that runs well on single or
small clusters that maybe we can garner some interest from bigger
supporters.  And, of course, most machines are multi-core these days
and Hadoop can leverage that, as I understand it.

Perhaps, if we can organize it and make sure it is secure, we can try
to figure out a way for the various people here to pull together our
resources.

Just thinking out loud...

-Grant