lucy-user mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Lock Error on Windows
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 16:14:17 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2016, at 2:12 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer@aevum.de> wrote:
>
>> What's the filesystem on drive E:? If it's FAT, this is expected.
>
> Oh, it’s HFS+, mounted my Mac from the Windows VM running inside VirtualBox.

OK, that probably explains it.  It seems plausible that the Windows
`CreateHardLink` function does not support HFS+.

Lucy uses the creation of hard links for atomic operations such as
committing a new version of the index or establishing a write lock.
Data is staged by writing it out completely to temp files, then goes
"live" at the moment a hard link gets created at a canonical location.

Marvin Humphrey