lucy-user mailing list archives

From Kruno Sever <kr...@blinde-kuh.de>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Compiling Lucy 4.2 Strawberry 5.20
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:11:35 GMT
Am 12.06.2015 um 08:16 schrieb Kruno Sever:
> Am 11.06.2015 um 19:36 schrieb Nick Wellnhofer:
>> On 11/06/2015 17:18, Kruno Sever wrote:
>>> How did you manage to do this? I have been trying around with various
>>> versions
>>> of Strawberry (5.18 to 5.22) on Win 8 today. It compiles but so far
>>> the tests
>>> fail to pass, preventing installation. Here the relevant snippets from
>>> the
>>> output:
>>
>> Both these issues are known and Windows-related. They should be harmless.
>>
>> I think we should skip these tests on Windows until someone can
>> investigate further. Another test failure that I frequently encounter on
>> Windows is related to removing the test directory `_fstest`.
>
> It was in fact a permission problem: the base Strawberry installation
> dir had the write-protect flag set and this propagated to newly created
> files, in particular those created by the test.
>
> In my case I installed Strawberry from the zip packages and created the
> directory manually and apparently inherited the write-protect from the
> root dir. The MSI installer might not have that problem.
>
> After fixing the write-protect, the tests run cleanly.
>
> Instead of skipping the test altogether, it might make sense to add a
> writability check on the created test files and only skip the test if
> that fails, possibly with a warning.

Got some more insight now: my base dir did not have in fact the read
only attribute, I just misinterpreted the square it (always) shows in
the Explorer Menu.

The problem rather seems to be with cpan unpacking the package content
of Clownfish::CFC with read-only attributes. After some experimentation,
the following worked for me consistently:

# cmd window 1: unpack module sources in build dir
cpan
get Clownfish::CFC

# cmd window 2: show files with read-only attributes
dir /a:r PATH/TO/STRAWBERRY/cpan/build/*.* /s /b
# now remove those attributes
attr -r PATH/TO/STRAWBERRY/cpan/build/*.* /s /d

# back to cmd #1: finish install of module
install Clownfish::CFC

Not sure if that is a packaging problem that can be fixed on your side
or standard cpan behaviour.

Best
   Kruno