lucy-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas den Braber" <tho...@delos.nl>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Not enough storage is available to process this command in Win 2012
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:15:16 GMT
> I don't recall having seen this particular error message before, but I
believe
> that it occurs when `MapViewOfFile` (the Windows analogue to `mmap`)
fails.

That is correct, I also see these errors in the logs.

> Gory details: To support large files under 32-bit operating systems, we
avoid
> mapping the entire file into memory and instead use a "sliding window"
> technique where only a portion of the file is mapped.

And under 64 bit, is the "sliding window" option also used ?

> I speculate that
> if you have a lot of sortable fields, a lot more of the index is getting
> mapped into memory than we would like.

I have about 15 sortable fields at the moment, I will test with reducing the
number to a minimum of 5 fields and check if it makes a difference.

> I don't recall having tested Lucy under 64-bit Windows and I'm not sure
what
> it would take to make it work.  (Moving to 64-bit Unix would probably
solve
> the problem, for whatever that's worth.)

Yes I prefer Linux but some companies have no knowledge of Linux, that makes
do the installations on Windows.
> In the meantime, another possibility might be to cut down on the number of
> segments in the index.  Try making a copy of a problematic index and
calling
> Indexer#optimize before Indexer#commit, which will cause the consolidation
of
> all segments into one.  (This doesn't actually "optimize" much but it
might
> help in this case.)

Yes I already done that but it still goes wrong.

I will do some more tests. If I have more results, I will post them.

Thanks for your support,

Thomas den Braber