lucy-user mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] How to make Lucy return multiple matches on same index (file)
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:54:23 GMT
Shahab wrote on 8/27/14 7:12 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying Lucy for first time.
>
> I will like to know if we can have Lucy return all matches of a search query
> in a single file.
>
> ex: indexing log file funny.txt having content
> 1: This is a lion and this is a tiger
> 2: This is a lion only
> 3: This is a tiger and a lion both
>
> search : lion
>
> Result :
> funny.txt "...This is a lion and..."
> funny.txt "...This is a lion ..."
> funny.txt "...and a lion ..."
> (some thing similar)

Shahab,

Lucy works on collections of documents, where each hit in a search result set
represents a single document.

That said, people use tools like Lucy to search logs, e.g., by creating a single
"document" for each line in the log file.

If you just want to find all the matches for a term in a single file, though,
you're better off with something like 'grep'.

HTH,
pek