lucy-user mailing list archives

From Edwin Crockford <ecrockf...@invicro.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Lucy unable to find an index file
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 12:29:54 GMT
On 07/08/2013 14:11, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Edwin Crockford <ecrockford@invicro.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting the following type of error message while
>> attempting to rebuild a Lucy index:
>>
>> Can't open '/home/ipacs/ipacs/index/webdisk/seg_943/lextemp': No such file
>> or directory
>>          lucy_FSFolder_local_open_filehandle at
>> /root/.local/share/.cpan/build/Lucy-0.3.2-oCiVA7/core/Lucy/Store/FSFolder.c
>> line 102
>>          lucy_Folder_local_open_in at
>> /root/.local/share/.cpan/build/Lucy-0.3.2-oCiVA7/core/Lucy/Store/Folder.c
>> line 97
>>          lucy_Folder_open_in at
>> /root/.local/share/.cpan/build/Lucy-0.3.2-oCiVA7/core/Lucy/Store/Folder.c
>> line 72
>>          lucy_PostPool_flip at
>> /root/.local/share/.cpan/build/Lucy-0.3.2-oCiVA7/core/Lucy/Index/PostingPool.c
>> line 179
>>
>> Anyone seen this before and have some ideas of what is going wrong?
> I don't recall having seen that reported as a trouble spot before.
>
> That particular error would occur after all docs have been added and while the
> new segment is being finished.  The Indexer is looking for a temporary file
> related to the lexicon which should have been written while adding documents.
>
> Some questions to help with troubleshooting:
>
> *   Is the error reproducible?
> *   Anything noteworthy about the file system -- e.g. is this an NFS volume?
> *   What do you mean by "reindexing"?
> *   Any permissions issues?
> *   What do you see in /home/ipacs/ipacs/index/webdisk/seg_943/ after the
>      crash?
> *   How many docs are being added before calling Indexer#commit?
> *   Any fields that have no data?  I'm thinking something like a document that
>      contains a `foo => undef` pair.  If that's the case, what happens if you
>      don't supply that key?
>
> Marvin Humphrey
Thanks for coming back to me and sorry to be slow in replying.  I
believe we have traced the issue back to an interaction between two
different systems (one doing bulk updates and another doing on the fly
single document indexing) attempting updates at the same time. I think
there was a way around the locking that caused the problem, does that
seem plausable?

The error was reproducible to some extent but went away when we shut
down one of the systems.
File system is standard UNIX, Centos 6
Reindexing refers to the bulk indexer (mentioned above) that rebuilds
the index from scratch.
No permissions issue that are obvious, both indexers were running as the
same user.
The docs are added in blocks of around 10 by the bulk indexer, we always
populate all the fields

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks

Edwin