lucy-user mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Hits offset and search performarce
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 04:42:29 GMT
Thomas den Braber wrote on 11/13/12 10:47 AM:
> Peter Karman wrote on 11/12/2012 5:46 PM

>> Swish-e does presort attributes, but rank/score is not one of them. That is
>> always a per-search attribute.
>>
>> ISTR an email exchange about this back when I was first using KinoSearch
>> (pre-Lucy), but I can't find it now.
>>

> I never understood what the presorting in Swish-e was actually doing. Maybe not that
> interesting for Lucy users, but could you explain in a couple of lines?

Lucy pre-sorts field values at index time, using a different approach than
Swish-e. But the idea is the same: pre-sorted field values are faster to return
at search time. IIRC, the pre-sorting is done when you call optimize() on an
Indexer. (Marvin, please correct my poor memory if I'm wrong there.)