lucy-user mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Collapsing and highlighting
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:41:11 GMT
lance bowler wrote on 12/10/11 10:24 PM:

> I had a gander at the ClusterSearcher code and it indeed only accepts
> 1 search request at a time - unless my perl grokness is failing me.

your grok-fu is working fine afaict. :)

> At a basic level, a server should accept inbound connections and
> fork/thread off and handle each request concurrently (a-la xinetd,
> etc).  Even if each request takes only 0.2s to complete, 10 such
> requests (or 50...) would rapidly push that number up to 2s (or
> 10s...)   -- or am I not missing the mark here?
>
> We have spikes of traffic and concurrent searching would leave tens -
> or hundreds - of users staring at a rotating wheel while the search
> client waits it's turn...  bad

I'm sorry if I misled you; I didn't mean to suggest that the ClusterSearcher all
by itself was able to handle simultaneous connections. I was only clarifying the
recent changes from serial to parallel requests to remote shards.

My code wraps the PolySearcher and then uses a preforking library to handle
concurrent requests (like Nate suggests elsewhere in this thread).

See Dezi for example. The SWISH::Prog::Lucy::Searcher class that Dezi relies on
could be adapted to use a ClusterSearcher instead of PolySearcher in a pretty
straightforward way.