lucy-user mailing list archives

From goran kent <gorank...@gmail.com>
Subject [lucy-user] Couldn't completely remove 'seg_N'
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:28:25 GMT
Top of the morning to all and sundry,

I've noticed this occasional error/failure during index merging:

  Couldn't completely remove 'seg_N'

Which comes from core/Lucy/Index/SegWriter.c, where the comment in
SegWriter_prep_seg_dir() says:

  // Clear stale segment files from crashed indexing sessions.

Is that stale segment folder from a previous unrelated index/merge
session, or is it from the current session which has crashed/failed
and this is part of the cleanup procedure?  It seems to be the former,
am I right?  The "_prep_" in SegWriter_prep_seg_dir() seems to imply
this is a brand new session trying to create the seg_N folder, which
throws an exception since the folder already exists.

I'll start some debugging sometime today to try and track down where
the hell that crash is happening, but I just wanted to clarify my
understanding of the code.

btw, if seg_N is empty, why is Folder_Delete_Tree() failing to trash
it?  Maybe because the stale write.lock is still soiling the
situation?  (grep -rl '^Folder_Delete_Tree' * failed to find anything,
so I couldn't have a quick look to confirm that idea)

Thanks!