lucy-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Identifying relevant field in $hits
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 06:13:55 GMT
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM, goran kent <gorankent@gmail.com> wrote
> My minor problem is:  I have inbound link text pointing to a page
> which is indexed along with the page content itself.  Since it's never
> displayed, you might have a hit on this 'hidden' text (but highly
> relevant in my case) and no other hits, so the excerpt is void of any
> highlighting (I can just hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from
> my future users).  It would be nice to be able to flag this kind of
> search result as "Found your term in inbound text" or whatever).

I can't tell if you are tongue in cheek about this or not.  I agree
with you, it will cause wailing and gnashing, but it's also been
Google's default behavior for a long time.  Search for:
http://www.google.com/search?q="links+pointing+to+this+page" for a
litany of people complaining about just this.

I've don't know for sure, but I presume this is because Google has
similar "field" issues.  For reasons either technical or social,
they've decided they aren't worth fixing.  There are a bunch of
special purpose operators that purport to do this:
http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators.html

You'd have to go pretty deep into Lucy to take a more efficient
approach other than post-processing that Marvin and Peter suggest.

--nate