lucy-user mailing list archives

From goran kent <gorank...@gmail.com>
Subject [lucy-user] IO ponderings
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:52:41 GMT
Hi,

I've been wondering (and I'll eventually get around to performing a
comparative test sometime this weekend) about IO and search
performance (ie, ignore OS caching).

What's the biggest cause of search degradation when Lucy is chugging
through it's on-disk index?

Physically *finding* data (ie, seeking and thrashing around the disk),
waiting for data to *transfer* from the disk to CPU?

I'm quite interested to know whether using an SSD where seek time and
other latency issues are almost zero would dramatically improve search
times.  I've seen vast improvements when using them in RDBMS', but
this may not translate as well here.

gk