lucy-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Feature question about Lucy vs. Ferret
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:01:36 GMT
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org> wrote:
> Well, actually, I want it for more than that.  For my particular needs, I need to get
the field name where the match occurred in the document, and then I'd ideally like to have
the start offset into that field and the length of the match.

Apart from the lack of Ruby bindings, this won't be a problem with
Lucy.  It's a data-forward approach, so that if the information is in
the indexes, you'll have access to it.  You might need to write a
custom Hit class (or the like), but it will certainly be possible.

> One of the things that struck me was the "implementing as much functionality in high-level
languages as possible" comment.  What does this mean, exactly?
> Why was this approach chosen rather than put all the muscle in the C code and provide
thin wrappers--even via SWIG or something more hand-tailored where necessary/appropriate?

I think you're missing an implied "And not only that, if you order by
midnight tonight now you'll also receive..."  Lucy is/will-have a
complete C core that can be used directly, but it will also be
possible to override the functionality class-by-class in Perl, Ruby,
Python, etc.   It's the added potential for accessing this
functionality from a scripting language that is being highlighted, not
the requirement.

> Part of the reason I ask has to do with the future of my own project.  Much of what
I have now will eventually be rewritten piecemeal in C++ and then wrapped via SWIG so I can
have Ruby and Java bindings as well as use it in other environments natively supporting C/C++.
 Whatever route I end up going for fulltext, this is something that would need to support
the same kind of thing as I'd actually be leveraging it more from the C++ code than the Ruby
code.

Sounds like an excellent fit for Lucy.   In the same way that we hope
to allow the C-core to be overridden with scripting languages for fast
prototyping, it's also should be easy to then selectively optimize
that with C++.  It's an ambitious multilingual goal, so it's possible
it will not be fully achieved, but your sort of application is exactly
the reason this approach was chosen.

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com