lucy-user mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: Release date and language bindings
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:23:59 GMT
fgl wrote on 11/25/09 3:44 AM:

> Also, are there plans to implement language bindings so that (eg) Perl can
> be used to index with and PHP used to search with (as with other engines
> like www.xapian.org)?

Just to clarify and expand on what Marvin said, it will be *possible* to have
language bindings for any dynamic language that supports extensions on top of C,
but Lucy is not like Xapian in the sense that there is a complete, core C (C++
in Xapian's case) library for which dynamic language bindings exist (which
Xapian mostly does with SWIG).

Instead (and Marvin should correct me if I state this wrong) Lucy will be a set
of core C code that a dynamic ("host" in Lucy parlance) language builds on top
of and for which the host language implements certain required API features that
the core code does not implement. The idea behind Lucy is to share common core C
code between host language IR library implementations, not to implement a
complete IR library in and of itself. There will, for example, need to be a C
host implementation that builds on top of the core Lucy code.

The central assumption of Lucy is that there will be implementations in various
languages like PHP. But as far as I can see, it is beyond the project scope of
Lucy to actually *implement* any of those host language bindings beyond Perl and
Ruby -- but again, Marvin should correct me here.