lucy-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Kurz" <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: lucy is gone?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:50:13 GMT
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<ogjunk-asf1lucy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, who is Nathan Kurz? :)
> I'm simply asking because I'm trying to get a feel for Lucy's future - before
> Nathan shows up on the list a few weeks ago, the list was quit and Marvin was
> all alone.

Hi Otis ---

Rats! I see that Marvin got in before me, ruining my scheme of
convincing you that I'm his imaginary alter-ego, part of his new
Socratic approach to development, and a placeholder for a real
developer until he gets one.

But he stated, I'm a long-time fan of KinoSearch who is currently
trying to run a gourmet ice cream business in the Bay Area
(http://screamsorbet.com).  I'm a decent C and Perl programmer on
Linux, although lately I'm more talk than code.

My goals with Lucy are to guide it in a direction that will let me use
it in the indeterminate future on collaborative
filtering/recommendation sites.  I particularly want to make it easy
to use alternative scoring systems and custom index formats.

I also need/want it to run really fast, ideally limited only by memory
bandwidth.  I'm currently talking with Marvin about different methods
of index compression, better ways of utilizing mmap(), and the
Scorer-Index interface.

Thanks!

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com