lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Break up repository
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:46:09 GMT
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer@aevum.de> wrote:

> I requested the two new repos. tgzs shouldn't be necessary. We can populate
> an empty repo with git-push.

Thanks for taking the initiative!  I have two comments.

First, if we populate the repo via a push, will that result in thousands of
emails to commits@lucy?  I think the commit hook will bail out, but I don't
know that for sure.  <http://s.apache.org/Vyp>.

Second, the tgz suggestion was partially motivated to so that others might
help out with QC.  ASF Git repos have receive.denyNonFastforwards set for the
master branch, so once we're set up there's no going back without Infra's
intervention.

    http://git-scm.com/book/ch7-1.html#Server-Configuration

To be honest, it's really hard to QC history, so I'm not sure how much help
having other people look things over would be.  I think we basically have to
entrust ourselves to the person doing the work.  But you're among the most
reliable of all the developers I know, so if anybody is going to take on a
task like this, I'm glad it's you.

Marvin Humphrey