lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Break up repository
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:15:23 GMT
On 17/12/2013 03:53, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Greets,
>
> Now that Charmonizer, Clownfish, and Lucy are separated, I propose we break
> up the code base across three different repositories.

+1

> Lucy's build will get a lot simpler if we make Clownfish an ordinary
> prerequisite. :)

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this. It will make life a little
harder for developers who have to work with an up-to-date source tree of
both Clownfish and Lucy but this can be worked around by setting
LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PERL5LIB.

> Theoretically we could filter history for the new Charmonizer and Clownfish
> repositories, but I think things have moved around so much that the potential
> for data loss is too great.  I suggest that we just clone the existing
> lucy.git repo and then edit down.

If we clone the Lucy repo, the history of most of the Clownfish files
will include two move operations:

* From core/Lucy to clownfish/runtime/core/Clownfish
* From clownfish/runtime/core/Clownfish to runtime/core/Clownfish

It will be hard to track changes across these renames, so I think we
could as well start the Clownfish repo from scratch.

Nick