lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Lucy Book Club
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 01:43:55 GMT
Howdy, y'all...

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Logan Bell <loganbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marvin and myself are going to be hosting a Skype book club of sorts.

I'm excited about this, and about the book that Logan has picked out. :)

Regardless on whether you plan to read along, please feel free to drop in on
the #lucy_dev IRC channel during any of these virtual get-togethers and say
hello.  There are a lot of you that I'd love to meet or to introduce to each
other!

The book club format is something I've participated in numerous times before.
Right now at Eventful there's a group of us going through "Pro Git" by Scott
Chacon; since it's directly applicable to our daily work, the rewards for
learning the material are tangible and immediate.  It's great to have a
similar opportunity with the Lucy community and a book I've wanted to read for
a long time!

> Since a big portion of Lucy is built upon parsing and compiling to host
> languages, this could be an opportunity to both sharpen ones skills and also
> become more aware of the internals of Lucy itself.

There are three parsers in the Lucy codebase (if we exclude the
lexers/tokenizers among our Analyzers):

    * QueryParser
    * The Lemon-based JSON parser.
    * The Clownfish header parser, also Lemon-based.

JSON is a simple format which everyone already knows, so I can imagine us
pressing the JSON parser into service as example code for the chapter on
formal grammars.

> The book that we plan on reading through is "Programming Languages
> Pragmatics":
> http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Pragmatics-Third-Edition/dp/0123745144/

The top review at Amazon provides a taste of what's in store:

    Over the years the Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools (2nd
    Edition) (also knwon as the dragon book) has become the de facto standard
    for introducing compilers and related topics at universities. This is very
    unfortunate because "Programming Language Pragmatics" is in a completely
    different league and should be the one used instead. It gives the student
    (or the self taught) a complete and through overview of parsing, grammar,
    automata theory and other key language constructs. What really
    differentiates this book from others (and most notably the (in)famous
    "Dragon Book") is that it does so in a easy to understand manner and with
    lots of well written examples.

Marvin Humphrey