lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] 0.3.1 Release
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 03:18:01 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Logan Bell <loganbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know earlier in April there was a thread going around to release 0.3.1 of
> Lucy. However, I haven't seen a vote for a release yet nor any further
> comment on this. I would be happy to volunteer to do this, unless someone
> else was already planning on getting the release started?

Eh, Nick's been too busy writing awesome code to follow through on the RM
business... You're hired!

(Perhaps we can persuade Nick to serve as RM for 0.4.0, which will have a ton
of his new code in it.)

> I just need instructions on the appropriate way of doing this and whatever
> the process is, I'll be happy to do it.

The first phase of getting a release ready is a collective, community
responsibility (so that we share the load and don't overburden the RM): take
care of all the tasks listed here:

    http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleasePrep

I've now completed all of them:

    * The RAT report is still wedged, but as this is the 0.3.x branch and no
      new files have been added since 0.3.0, we're all good.  (For the record,
      I opened a JIRA ticket today and hope to get the buildbot un-wedged:
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4741>).
    * The issue tracker is clean.
    * Copyright notices are up-to-date.
    * The CHANGES file has a new entry (date still to be filled in by RM).
    * LICENSE and NOTICE are fine (no changes since 0.3.0 that would require
      mods).
    * The 0.3.x branch passes tests for me on OS X, Cygwin, Strawberry Perl
      and ActivePerl/MSVC.
    * The test_valgrind target passes on OS X.

The next steps are for the Release Manager.  The guide is here:

    http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseGuide

    From a high level, here are the stages of creating a release:

        1. Branch and tag the release candidate within version control.
        2. Build and stage the release artifacts.
        3. Vote.
        4. Publish.
        5. Announce.

    The specifics of each stage are covered in release_commands.pl.

Most of the work now involves running commands generated by a script:

    $repos/devel/bin/release_commands.pl

However, since this will be your first time as RM, the ReleaseGuide also lists
some reference materials you may want to look over.

So, look over the ReleaseGuide wiki page and run release_commands.pl --
then feel free to either proceed or to ask questions here or on #lucy_dev!

Marvin Humphrey