lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Brittle struct ABI proof-of-concept
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 01:58:26 GMT
Greets,

I've finished a proof-of-concept app which illustrates one approach to
addressing Clownfish's brittle object struct issue.

The files have been committed to a branch and the README explains the issue
and the proposed solution in detail.

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy/branches/LUCY-234-struct-ABI/README

The approach adapts techniques developed for implementing multiple inheritance
under C++.  Background reading:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunk_%28programming%29
  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/papers/bidirectional/node1.html
  http://eprints.cs.vt.edu/archive/00000177/01/TR-89-40.pdf
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-July/036909.html

I think it makes sense to put off dealing with this issue until after Lucy
0.4.0 is out, and probably until after the Lucy::Object::* to Clownfish::*
transition is complete so that we have the freedom to move in stages.  In the
meantime, we can refine the proof-of-concept or consider alternatives.

Marvin Humphrey