lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] April 2012 board report
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:21:39 GMT
Greets,

Here's a proposed draft for the first report to the ASF Board of Directors on
the newly established Apache Lucy project.

The next board meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 18th.  Reports have
been trickling into the board@a.o list for the past week or so.  I believe
that the hard deadline is 72 hours before the meeting when the agenda is
frozen, but as the guidelines indicate that reports should be filed "well in
advance", it seems to me that the PMC chair should seek to file a week or more
before the meeting.

Here are the guidelines for project board reports:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/reporting

If anyone is interested in seeing how other TLP reports look (note that
fidelity to the guidelines varies significantly) check out the minutes of past
board meetings:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

Lastly, note that this is technically our PMC chair's report, not the PMC's
(so we don't vote on it):

  http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

  Quarterly report to Board.

  The schedule is listed in committee-info.txt along with the procedure.  If
  there are issues requiring board assistance, then make that apparent,
  separate from any general project news.  The report is mainly about the
  status of the project, together with any community and legal issues or other
  general impediments.  You can seek input from your PMC, but it is mainly
  your report to the board.  The chair does not report to the PMC. The chair
  reports to the board (i.e. ultimately to the ASF membership).  The reporting
  page describes what the reports should contain.  Look at Board Meetings and
  Calendar for examples of past PMC reports and to find out when the next
  meetings are due.

Marvin Humphrey

==========================

The Apache Lucy search engine library provides full-text search for dynamic
programming languages.

This report is the first since the board approved the charter establishing
the Apache Lucy project on March 21, 2012.

ACTIVITY

  * The transition to TLP has effectively been completed save for drafting
    our bylaws.
  * Development of the codebase has been active, with a focus on enabling
    compiled extensions.

RELEASES

  * None during this period.
  * The last release was 0.3.0, an incubating release dated 2012-01-15.

COMMUNITY

  * No change to committer/PMC membership ranks during this period.
  * The dev list has been active, the user list has been quiet.
  * Commit diversity within the existing community is satisfactory and
    continues to improve.

BRANDING

  * We believe that we are in full compliance with the ASF branding
    guidelines.

ISSUES

  * None requiring board-level attention at this time.