lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] AUTHOR_MODE and Podchecker
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:37:13 GMT
On 3/9/12 1:16 PM, Logan Bell wrote:

> BEGIN {
>     *plan skip_all =>  "Author mode not enabled SKIPPING"*
>         unless $ENV{AUTHOR_MODE};
>     if ( $]<  5.010 ) {
>         plan( 'skip_all', "Old Pod::Checker is buggy" );
>     }
>     else {
>         plan('no_plan');
>     }
> }
>
> Would anyone have any objection with this? It seems fairly reasonable since
> it feels a bit heavy handed to run this check on every install. Also, how
> difficult would it be to get out a new release up to CPAN I'd be willing to
> volunteer to do this if I knew the correct process.

I agree that it's a terrible pity we've got low cpantesters scores
because of a broken pod checker. OTOH, good, working documentation is a
virtue. So I'm +0 on the idea of patching the doc tests.

I'm -1 on releasing a new CPAN dist just for this fix. Once we graduate
(which is hopefully days away), getting a new release out should be much
easier (one less VOTE to take) and we could just do a real 0.3.1 release
to catch the doc fix and any others we've accrued. The benefit of
keeping CPAN releases in sync with official Apache releases outweighs
the benefit of a nicer cpantesters report. IMO.