lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Graduation checklist
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 00:05:57 GMT
On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 09:22:48AM -0800, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Net: check out the resolution I sent, make sure that:
>   - the description of Lucy buried in there (near "open source software for") makes sense.

Regarding the "description and scope" section of our charter, here are some
samples taken from four other Apache projects in the information retrieval
space:

  Apache CouchDB

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2008/board_minutes_2008_11_19.txt

    [open-source software implementing] a distributed, fault-tolerant and
    schema-free document-oriented database

  Apache Cassandra

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2010/board_minutes_2010_02_17.txt

    [open-source software related to] fully distributed storage of
    structured data

Gora is an interesting case, because there was debate on general@incubator
during the graduation VOTE as to whether its scope was too broad:

  Apache Gora [final]

    http://markmail.org/message/fjaohgophmuqjqow (no board minutes yet)

    [open-source software for] mapping objects to NoSQL databases

  Apache Gora [draft]

    [open-source software related to] persistence, storage, and retrieval
    middleware for relational and NoSQL databases"

    http://markmail.org/message/2ub5kuixbk42ztcv (scope discussion thread)

  Apache Lucene

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_01_19.txt

    [open-source software related to] the Lucene and search technologies

    [software for] Lucene and for related software components

I include Lucene only for reference.  The Lucene charter dates from 2005,
contains an apparent grammatical glitch and does not reflect current best
practices -- for instance, the resolution creates the "Apache Search Project"
rather than the "Apache Lucene Project".

In addition to those four, here are two projects which are cited in the
Incubator documentation as examples:

  Apache Harmony

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/board_minutes_2006_10_25.txt

    [open-source software implementing] Java virtual machines, related class
    libraries, and other software that is commonly associated with Java
    platforms

  Apache Cayenne

    [open-source software related to] object-relational mapping (ORM) and
    remoting services

(Hmm, to me Harmony's looks good but Cayenne's is meh.)

With those in mind, here's what Mattmann has proposed:

    [open-source software for] full-text search targeted at support for
    dynamic programming languages

It turns out that Mattmann's language is almost identical to what I had worked
up yesterday in anticipation of this discussion:

    [open-source software related to] providing full-text search for dynamic
    programming languages

Mattmann's take seems to be drawn from our README (which is also used on the
homepage):

    Apache Lucy is a fulltext search engine library, written in C and targeted
    at dynamic language users.

I have a mild preference for my variant, for two reasons.  First, I included
the word "providing" because Clownfish is an important part of Lucy and we may
want to expose some kind of an experimental public API for it at some point.
(It will probably be on its way to splitting off if this happens.)  Second,
"targeted at support" seems a little imprecise, grammatically -- though
similar issues obviously haven't impeded Lucene! :)

On a related note, there's a trademark issue which we should clean up before
going to the IPMC and the Board: we should be using "Apache Lucy" as an
adjective and not a noun.  Here's what I propose for our README and homepage:

    The Apache Lucy search engine library provides full-text search for
    dynamic programming languages.

Marvin Humphrey