lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] 0.3.0 release prep
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 03:11:30 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 1/9/12 11:27 PM:

> Ignoring the .gitignore files is fine -- just add them to
> devel/conf/rat-excludes.

done

> Adding CONTRIBUTING to rat-excludes is fine as well.

done

> There's also install-sh, which has an MIT/X11 license.  It will be necessary
> to add the text of that license to LICENSE.

done

>> For the c/ files, since that is just the stub of the tip of the beginning of a
>> start for that code, do we even want it in the release?
>
> IMO: yes.  Canonical release tarballs should be snapshots from the VCS.
> Things get annoyingly complicated if you deviate from that.

10-4

> If we don't want something in an official release, we should develop it on a
> branch.  That will be more straightforward once we switch to Git in a few
> months.
>
>> Could/should files be removed from a branch if they do not represent
>> 'finished' product? I realize this last is a philosophical as well as
>> practical question.
>
> I don't think it matters much.  All of the 0.2.x releases have had a ruby/
> dir containing useless in-progress code; nobody complained.

check. Hoss, your comments much appreciated on this topic too. I will take it as
a TODO for myself to update STATUS and README for the c/ bindings, though imo
that's not a show-stopper for 0.3.0.

I've now gone through all the steps on http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleasePrep
except for the Portability and Extended Tests section. Would someone please
volunteer to do those steps? Once we're satisfied with those, I will start the
actual 0.3.0 ReleaseGuide process.

tia,
pek