lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Shuffling Lucy Binding Code
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:28:55 GMT
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:56:53AM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> One of the ideas we've been discussing is moving the binding code away from
> beneath the __BINDING__ block and into individual Perl modules within
> buildlib/Lucy/Build/Binding.

+1

For the historical record, here's the thread where Peter and I discussed the
existing design:

   http://s.apache.org/xuJ

Back then, the library still had a lot of Perl code.  During 2007-2008, it was
ported to XS and then to C; while the transition was underway, it was
convenient to have implementations for a class all in a single .pm file.  That
way, porting a routine from Perl to XS meant moving it to a different section
of the same file, and having everything in one file for a given class made it
easier to wrap your head around the complete implementation.

That rationale is long gone, as the porting of the library code was finished a
while ago.  IMO, it now makes sense to change things for all the reasons that
Logan has spelled out.

Marvin Humphrey