lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Improving the ClusterSearcher
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 19:36:02 GMT
On 23/12/11 03:52, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Unfortunately, legally I think we have to hold off on applying this patch, for
> licensing reasons.  Here's the licensing block from Net::Server:
>
>      This package may be distributed under the terms of either the
>
>        GNU General Public License
>          or the
>        Perl Artistic License
>
> Apache products cannot have mandatory dependencies on GPL'd components, so we
> cannot use Net::Server under the terms of the GPL.  Usage under the terms of
> the Artistic license has not been approved by Apache Legal.  See the following:
>
>    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html for a list of approved licenses.
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86 for an attempt to get
>    Artistic-1 added to the list of approved licenses, which resulted in a
>    temporary variance.
>
> Can we somehow make SearchServer pluggable or subclassable so that the user
> can supply routines for forking/preforking/etc?

I think the easiest solution would be to move the guts of the request
handling from SearchServer to another module. This could then be used
from different server modules. Do I understand correctly that if we keep
the current SearchServer, we can also ship another module based on
Net::Server because then it's not a mandatory dependency?

Nick