lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:44:09 GMT
On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 10:11:37PM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> Below I have included my initial draft of what I plan to submit via JIRA to
> the infrastructure team. Please let me know if I have missed anything
> obvious for this request.

In general, this looks great.  I'm glad that you're formulating the request to
Infra with care.  Infra is a valuable, limited resource.

> Further, please take note that I requested that they use Perl 5.14.2 for the
> testing, however, are there other versions of Perl we should be running
> tests on?

Theoretically, we could test with every version of Perl from 5.8.3 forwards.
And as we add other host language bindings, every supported version of those,
too... and every possible OS... and every possible compiler on every OS...
You probably see where I'm going with this.  :)

I don't think it matters much which version of Perl we test on so long as it's
5.10.0 or greater.  Why not just use /usr/bin/perl so that nobody has to go
compiling a special Perl for us?

> 4. Notify via a bot on #luc_dev on irc.freenode.org

Typo: s/#luc_dev/#lucy_dev/

> 5. Platforms for testing: Generic Linux and FreeBSD.

How about we just ask for one or the other to start with?

We can add more platforms once we get a feel for how the system works.

Marvin Humphrey