lucy-dev mailing list archives

From "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Module::Build sneakily configuring configure_requires
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 16:54:20 GMT
On Nov 2, 2011, at 8:19 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> Version 0.36, eh?
>
> We currently list Module::Build in Build.PL under build_requires:
>
>    build_requires => {
>        'Module::Build'      => 0.280801,
>
> Version 0.280801 is the version that shipped with Perl 5.10.0, when
> Module::Build was added to the Perl core.  We don't want to require M::B
> version 0.36 -- that's silly and unnecessary.
>
> But maybe it's OK for M::B to add itself like that under configure_requires
> because versions prior to 0.36 ignored configure_requires?  I'm speculating…

It was added in 0.2808_01. Module::Build just inserts its current version if you don't specify
it.

> David Wheeler has agreed to perform the CPAN release for Lucy 0.2.2.  David,
> can you please make sure that M::B doesn't force its minimum required version
> to 0.36 when you run ./Build dist?
>
> And then probably adding this line to Build.PL would be OK for both trunk and
> our 0.2 branch (assuming that the 0.2 branch has a life beyond 0.2.2, which
> may not be the case.)
>
>    configure_requires => { 'Module::Build' => 0.280801 }

Well, I'll have to add that to the Build.PL in order to prevent Module::Build from inserting
the latest version of itself. Or we can add `auto_configure_requires => 0`.

Is it too late to make one of these changes? Has 0.2.2 been tagged and packaged up, yet?

Best,

David