lucy-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew S. Townley" <...@atownley.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:17:37 GMT
Hi guys,

On 28 Oct 2011, at 08:38 a.m., Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@vafer.org> wrote:

>>> ...wouldn't be python or ruby attracting a couple of more folks?
>>
>> Well, we currently have a committer, Brad Harder, who is very interested in a Tcl
port and has been working with Marvin on IRC to figure out what's needed. I know, crazy, right?
But you take em as you get em, and Brad is pretty awesome.

> Wow. OK :)
>
>> So yeah, unless someone else steps up wanting to port to another language with the
same level of engagement, it will likely be Tcl.

>> Personally I'd love to see Objective C, but not having an immediate need for it and
a severe lack of tuits (not to mention minimal C skillz), I won't be able to work on it. But
I'm sure someone will soon.

> Maybe I can follow along his efforts for the Objective C part.
> No promises - but might be the missing part for me that is enough to
> start actually helping.

I realise this has little weight since all I can do is talk about it right now, but I think
a vanilla C approach would kill more birds, as you could then use it rather easily in C, C++
and Objective C without further effort. It wouldn't have class and implementation files, but
adding those would be a different layer as I understand.

My own project hasn't gone near the full text engine for nearly a year, so I haven't been
able to make any progress on anything Lucy. :(

Something is likely better than nothing....

Cheers,

ast