lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:24:57 GMT
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:42:20AM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> So when/how can we start with the ObjC support then? ;)

A volunteer for an additional host binding language could begin work at any
time.  Alternatively, you can wait while we continue the process of
restructuring and refactoring with the goal of making binding easier.

It's my understanding that all of our prospective ObjC volunteers have decided
to lurk until they don't have to read/write any Perl to achieve their
objectives, and therefore they are still blocked by
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-142>, "Port Clownfish compiler to
C".  Nevertheless, the Flex/Lemon parser was a subtask of LUCY-142 which just
happened to kill multiple birds with one stone :) -- so we are making
progress.  Development resources continue to be directed towards porting
rather than other goals such as speed or search-related features.

After LUCY-142, other plans include...

  * Have Charmonizer generate a monolithic C file.
  * Move everything under trunk/core/Lucy/Object under clownfish/.  This
    will allow a porter to write bindings for only a dozen or so classes
    before having to tackle bindings for all of Lucy.
  * Add a language other than ObjC, probably Tcl.

Each item we check off from that list represents an opportunity to jump in and
get started.

In conclusion, I'd like to reiterate an assertion from a few days ago:

Lucy is easy to use.  It is not yet easy to hack on, but we know how to change
that and in time we will succeed.

Marvin Humphrey