lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_l...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] TRIAL CPAN releases
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:23:13 GMT
: > My own opinion is that even if the PMC were to do it "officially" then it
: > wouldn't be much different then PMCs that publish maven SNAPSHOT builds to
: > ibiblio (and in the ways that it is different it's better because it would
: > only be RCs under formal vote)
:
: This doesn't really happen anymore as I understand it. Folks who want to do this
: go to http://repository.apache.org/ and then upload their artifacts to the Nexus
: server there, and then when the RC is released, and then closed, the released RC
: gets sync'ed to Maven Central at some specified interval. So even these releases
: go through Apache still.

ok .. so it's repository.apache.org instead of ibiblio -- but the point is
still the same: unofficial builds (which are clearly identified as
unofficial) are distributed using langauge specific mechanisms for
the purposes of user testing.  The fact that maven is an apache project
so that language specific mechanism happens to be an apache.org server
doesn't really seem relevant to the point...

https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-development-plugins.html

...and in any case, those are trunk snapshots, and we're talking about
release candidates.  the point of release candiates is to be tested by end
users before the release becomes official, so i can't see any objection to
making end-products produced from those release candidates (clearly labled
as such) available for users who are interested in testing them via the
channel that they would normally use.

-Hoss