lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_l...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] TRIAL CPAN releases
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:18:50 GMT

: If we are comfortable with distributing RC materials outside of Apache
: channels, then yes.  I'm not clear on that.  Have other ASF projects done
: something similar?  If nobody knows, perhaps we might ask on general@incubator?

I agree that asking on general@incubator would be a good idea to get more
perspective.

My own opinion is that even if the PMC were to do it "officially" then it
wouldn't be much different then PMCs that publish maven SNAPSHOT builds to
ibiblio (and in the ways that it is different it's better because it would
only be RCs under formal vote)

But this doesn't have to be anything "official" by the PMC ... the RM/PMC
put up a Source RC for people to test -- part of the testing that some
third party person (or a community member wearing a diff hat) can do is to
use that Source RC to generate a langauge specific dist and upload that
dist to a repo like CPAN (clearly labeled as an unofficial RC/beta build)
-- and that should be totally fine.

if "TRIAL" is the CPAN specific way of clearly labeling things as
unofficial, then so be it.

-Hoss