lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Filepath build glitch in 0.2.0
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:43:15 GMT
Greets,

The early CPAN testers results are in.  The good news is that we've finally
got a pass on a Windows machine running Strawberry Perl.  The bad news is
thanks to a single build glitch that wasn't caught by our QA process, we have
several dozen fails across a wide variety of systems.

This is the problematic line from buildlib/Lucy/Build.pm, and the fix:

-    $o_file   =~ s/\.c/$Config{_o}/;
+    $o_file   =~ s/\.c/$Config{_o}$/;

The existing line is problematic because it causes transformations like this:

    /home/sand/.cpan/build/Lucy-0.2.0-N3vrOi/core/Lucy/Test.c
    /home/sand/.opan/build/Lucy-0.2.0-N3vrOi/core/Lucy/Test.c
               ^^^^^

The bad line happened to be the same in 0.1.0, but we didn't get failures
because the filepath was relative then and now it has been changed to be
absolute.

I'm tempted to just spin out a fast CPAN-only fix as 0.2.0.1 -- justified as
"downstream" -- since our release process is somewhat slow-moving, and this
bug primarily impacts people building via CPAN or CPANPLUS.  Come to think of
it, though, I'm not totally sure whether a 4-part version number might make
various CPAN components freak out.

Marvin Humphrey