lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_l...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Apply fixes and release 0.1.1
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 16:52:37 GMT

: I propose merging the following additional bugfixes to the 0.1 branch:

My only question from the peanut gallery would be "why 0.1.1? why not just
roll out 0.2?"

I understand the fundemental value in bug fix point releases, but Lucy is
still a very young project, I can't imagine thta API/feature stability and
back compat is a that big of an issue yet.

I mean ... if you want to cut a release, cut a release.  i just wonder if
the value to users of a 0.1.1 release is really worth the effort to
backport these changes compared to moving forward with a 0.2 release.

Are any changes on trunk so radical that any of the existing 0.1 users
who might upgrade to 0.1.1 wouldn't upgrade to 0.2?

The bug fix changes list you are proposing seem entirely related to
build/run protability, which means anyone who was bit by those trying to
install 0.1 probably isn't running lucy at all becaues of it (correct?) so
if they upgrade they won't really care if it's 0.1.1 or 0.2.  LIkewise
anyone who's running 0.1 fine won't have any reason to upgrade if you put
out a 0.1.1 (because if it's working for them on their OS those bug fixes
probably don't affect them) ... but they might be interested in upgrading
to 0.2 if it's also got new features.

food for tought

-Hoss