lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy (incubating) 0.2.0 RC 3
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 02:02:11 GMT
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:33:28PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> +1 from me (more than 72 hours later...)

I've seen numerous votes held open on general@incubator.a.o longer than the
original 72 hour time frame.  The Apache voting page doesn't have much to say
about time limits.  This is the extent of it:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#expressing_votes_1_0_-1_and_fractions

  Votes should generally be permitted to run for at least 72 hours to
  provide an opportunity for all concerned persons to participate regardless
  of their geographic locations.

Perhaps I should have used more flexible language in the email that kicked off
the vote:

-    The vote is open for the next 72 hours.
+    The vote will be held open for at least 72 hours.

Those of you who have been following the commits list may have seen that
boilerplate VOTE email text is now embedded in
trunk/devel/bin/release_commands.pl so that it is easy to copy and paste.
I'll go make the change there, so that it will be available to the next RM.

As for this vote, I'm just going to keep holding it open unless someone
objects.

We now have 3 Lucy PPMC +1 votes and no -1s, which as of now is enough to pass
as soon as the vote closes.  One of those is also an Incubator PMC vote
(mine); we need two more such votes to pass the ratification vote on
general@incubator.  I'm hoping that if we gently remind our Mentors, we will
get the needed votes during this phase; if we don't, we'll have to recruit
freelancer votes from other Incubator PMC members on general@incubator.  It
takes a lot of effort to cast such a vote, because if you want to be
responsible about it you have to familiarize yourself with the project in a
hurry -- which, given Lucy's composition, will be especially challenging for
all the Java people.  I'd rather avoid asking for that if we can manage it.

Marvin Humphrey