lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Rename some Charmonizer elements
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:01:10 GMT
Greets,

There are a few naming changes that I think we should make in order to clarify
the roles played by certain Charmonizer elements:

    charmonize.c   => configure.c   # source file
    charmonize     => configure     # executable
    charmonize     => configure     # Lucy::Build ACTION
    charmony       => config        # Lucy::Build ACTION

These proposed changes are in the spirit of Nate's suggestion that the build
incantation for a Charmonizer-equipped C project should include "make config".

Technically, these are all implementation details and there are no userland
consequences for the renames.  However, if Charmonizer ever escapes Lucy's
orbit, having the default executable named "configure" rather than "charmonize"
becomes significant.  Plus, there have been many references to the
"charmonize" executable in our past mailing list discussions and it's good to
give people a heads up.

For now, the name of the generated header file should remain "charmony.h",
rather than become "config.h" or something customized like "lucy_config.h" --
the #include directives for "charmony.h" are hard-coded into Charmonizer's
test files, making it inconvenient to change.

Marvin Humphrey