lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] canonical build systems
Date Sat, 28 May 2011 12:20:34 GMT
Looking over the codebase with an eye towards future
language bindings, I really think we'll be in for some
serious maintenance headaches if we stick to the plan
to have a fully independent build system for each lang.
My experience elsewhere tells me that finding humans willing
to maintain build system changes as the codebase evolves
will be a challenge.

Rather, I would like to see charmonizer and clownfish
get one build system that works for all langs.  If that
means picking perl/python/whatever to do the job so be it.
If that means creating a Windows-friendly DSO that's doable
too (I can help here for sure).

OTOH if we do continue down the path of fully independent
per-lang build systems, we absolutely must track
build changes on a per-lang basis with buildbot or jenkins.