lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] CPAN "primary maintainer"
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 17:45:02 GMT
Greets,

Once all the vote threads clear and we release the canonical artifacts for
Lucy 0.1.0 via Apache channels, it would be preferable if someone other than
me were to release Lucy to CPAN.

The process is straightforward, as most of it has been automated.  Run these
commands...

    tar -zxf apache-lucy-incubating-0.1.0.tar.gz
    cd apache-lucy-incubating-0.1.0/
    cd perl/
    perl Build.PL
    ./Build dist

... take the resulting "Lucy-0.1.0.tar.gz" tarball, run quality checks as you
deem appropriate, and upload using pause.perl.org.

There's a small hangup, though.  I registered "Lucy" in the CPAN modulelist a
long time ago, under my CPAN handle, creamyg.  I went to go grant co-maint to
the other members of the Lucy PPMC whose CPAN handles I know:

    dwheeler
    joesuf
    karman

However, the pause.perl.org interface won't let me grant co-maint -- "Lucy"
isn't listed in the "namespaces" dropdown.  Whoever wrote the webapp probably
didn't consider the possibility that you'd want to grant co-maint on something
you haven't released yet.  :)

I'm concerned that if somebody who's not the owner of that namespace uploads
the tarball, we'll foul the system -- the release won't get indexed, etc.

Fortunately, Pause will allow me to transfer permanent registration of "Lucy"
to somebody else.  I'll make sure that whoever volunteers to perform the first
CPAN upload receives it from me.  That person will become the "Primary
Maintainer" for "Lucy" on CPAN; once the release goes through, that person
will then have to make a few clicks to grant co-maint to the rest of us on all
the Lucy* namespaces.

Any takers?

Marvin Humphrey