lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <p...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Host QueryParser reimplementations
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:24:53 GMT
Nathan Kurz wrote on 4/23/11 5:44 PM:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Marvin Humphrey

>> I'm thinking of starting a project at apache-extras.org, with the working
>> title "LucyX::Search::HostQueryParser".  Its primary purpose would be to
>> supply hackable reimplementations of Lucy::Search::QueryParser in the host
>> language, typically using a parser generator -- Parse::RecDescent for Perl,
>> maybe pyparsing for Python, etc.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.  My only question would be whether "LucyX" is
> the right namespace for this.  I've never particularly liked it as a
> name, and once we have multiple people contributing it doesn't really
> make a difference whether they are stomping on each others "Lucy"
> objects or "LucyX" objects.  I wonder whether just "Lucy::Perl::*",
> "Lucy::Python::*" might be clearer.  But no strong objection.

I like this idea too. Query parsing is a ripe field for project-specific
implementation; as such, can be distracting from core library features.

Namespaces: LucyX follows the Perl convention of the appended 'X' for
eXtensions. I like that the name immediately distinguishes it from the core lib
distribution. But I also like the idea of host-language distinction.

LucyX::Perl, LucyX::Python, etc.  ?