lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Three class name changes
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 00:41:29 GMT
Greets,

There are three class naming changes that I would like to make.

Now is the best time to make these mods.  KinoSearch users who switch to Lucy
once we release 0.1.0-incubating will have to mod their code anyway due to the
namespace migration, so there will be no additional impact on them (especially
if we supply a ks2lucy tool).  Additionally, JIRA is clean right now -- we
don't have a backlog of patch files which would be invalidated.  Lastly, these
changes are all straightforward enough or obscure enough that there will be
minimal impact on the collective memory of the Lucy hivemind.

The first change is to move LucyX::Simple to Lucy::Simple.  I've become
convinced that if we don't provide a class named Lucy::Simple, sooner or later
somebody else is going to write and release one, creating confusion with
LucyX::Simple.  I think we should just lay claim to that namespace; we use it
in the first chapter of the tutorial, so it's fairly important.

The second change is to rename Lucy::Search::Compiler to
Lucy::Search::Investigation, "A Query applied to a specific collection of
documents."  With this change, each Query-Compiler-Matcher trio will become a
Query-Investigation-Matcher trio instead.  I know that Nate would prefer to
eliminate the middle stage entirely, creating Query-Matcher pairs.  The name
change to Investigation is not meant to prejudice the decision to zap or not
to zap, which is too involved to tackle prior to the 0.1.0-incubating release.

The last change is to rename some XXXXXScorer classes to XXXXXMatcher, e.g.
ANDScorer -> ANDMatcher.  Nearly all of these classes are private.  Their
names should have been changed some time ago when we eliminated Scorer in
favor of Matcher.  Better late than never.

Marvin Humphrey