lucy-dev mailing list archives

From "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] RegexTokenizer
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:25:49 GMT
On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

>> It doesn't take a lot of munging to get what you want:
>
> Your demo of the transform is admirably compact.  However, the existing naming
> scheme is fairly deeply baked in to our object system, and a good deal of the
> code that touches on it is written in C.  Breaking the existing convention
> would require a certain amount of work.

Yeah. It just drives me nuts to see the namespacing conventions of one language forced on
another. Each language should have names that make sense by the conventions of that language
IMHO.

> If someone is willing work up a patch which makes "Lucy::Tokenizer::Regex"
> possible, then we can consider it.  Until then, it has to be ruled out for
> technical reasons.

Probably not too difficult.

> FWIW, "Lucy::Tokenizer::Regex" implies that we would have a Lucy::Tokenizer
> class, which would break another convention -- we no longer have any classes
> which live directly under Lucy.

Now that's a shame. Seems like a waste of namespace hierarchy.

But I'm very late to this discussion, so feel free to ignore my ignorant harping. :-)

Best,

David