lucy-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew S. Townley" <...@atownley.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] RegexTokenizer
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:58:03 GMT

On 8 Mar 2011, at 8:23 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 07:35:59PM +0000, Andrew S. Townley wrote:
>> Based on your answers though, it still seems like this should be possible
>> using a C++ as C host implementation strategy--convoluted as it may sound.
>
> You may be interested to know that Lucy has to compile under C++ because we
> run MSVC in C++ mode in order to get support for mixed declarations and code.
> Our dialect of C is the intersection of C++ and C99.

Interesting, but hardly surprising for that environment.  I remember trying to get MSVC to
digest pre-release versions of the STL and standard C++ library back in 95/96, and I remember
that it was a particularly schizophrenic beast in terms of language feature support back then.
 While I think I last used it to compile anything in C++ around '98/99, I wouldn't have much
faith in it keeping up with anything close to cutting edge features.

This time around, I'm hoping to successfully avoid it as much as possible for as long as possible!
:)  Good to know that it's regularly validated with C++ compilation, though.

Cheers,

ast
--
Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org>