lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] 0.1-incubating release
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:21:41 GMT
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:47:59PM -0800, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:07:14PM -0800, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> > On your wiki list, I'd say RAT is the critical thing, along with legal.
>
> Creating a RAT target is cake compared to what must be done to eliminate
> Parse::RecDescent and JSON::XS as dependencies since
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86> has not been successfully
> resolved.

A few hours ago, Apache Legal Affairs VP Sam Ruby ruled favorably on LEGAL-86.
Our current usage of Parse::RecDescent and JSON::XS no longer blocks the
0.1.0-incubating release.  Thanks to Chris Mattmann for getting the process
unstuck!  I expect to go close the issue soon.

There is technically a small caveat in the ruling: before we publish public
APIs binding Lucy to any other host language, we need to eliminate Lucy's
runtime dependency on JSON::XS.  However, this was a practical necessity
anyway, since we were not going to embed a Perl interpreter in the C, Python,
or Ruby Lucy shared object.  :)

The work to eliminate these dependencies needs to continue.  I'll address
Clownfish's usage of Parse::RecDescent in a separate email.  As for the Lucy
code interfacing with JSON::XS, I don't think it makes sense to touch it prior
to the initial release, but I would like to tear into it soon afterwards.

Marvin Humphrey