lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] ReleaseGuide wiki page draft done
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 02:00:29 GMT
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 06:15:44PM -0800, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> i think it makes total sense for this to be a distinct wiki page from the
> ReleaseGuide (ReleseVerificationChecklist maybe?) becuase the burden
> shouldn't be on the release manager to verify everything; and it makes
> sense to be brief about the things that generally need checked for all
> apache releases (license files, pgp/md5 sigs check out, etc...) but
> anything Lucyd specific ("run the unit tests like so...", "build and test
> the CPAN artifacts like so...", etc...) would be good list to have on the
> wiki.

+1 for ReleaseVerificationChecklist.

I think we need three pages, to cover three different areas of responsibility.

    1. ReleasePrep -- Actions to prepare a branch for a release (e.g. update
       the CHANGES file), for which the community is collectively responsible.
    2. ReleaseGuide -- Actions for executing a release, which are the sole
       responsibility of the Release Manager.  (DONE)
    3. ReleaseVerificationChecklist -- A guide for PMC members or other
       interested parties to help judge whether a specific set of release
       artifacts merits a +1 vote of approval.

To create the additional pages, we can distill down the Incubator release page
at <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html> as we did for
ReleaseGuide, but apply different filtering criteria.  After that, we can
augment the content with "run the unit tests like so..." as proposed above.

Marvin Humphrey