lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] ReleaseGuide wiki page draft done
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2011 19:09:15 GMT
Greets,

I believe that the release guide wiki page that Peter started at
<http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseGuide> is now feature-complete and ready
for either review or use.

This draft is more of a mechanical, step-by-step recipe than I have seen in
the release guides for some other Apache projects.  Discussions of principle,
such as you find at
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html> have been
streamlined away.

For instance, although the Incubator release documentation treats the LICENSE
and NOTICE files at length, there is no mention of them on our wiki page --
because performing QC on those files is not the RM's direct responsibility.
It is first, the responsibility of individual committers to update them as
necessary with each individual commit; second, the PPMC's responsibility to
oversee development and ensure that they are kept up-to-date on an ongoing
basis; and finally, a PPMC member responsibility to check them before casting
a +1 vote for the release.  The RM has enough to do already.

Additionally, only the steps that must be performed every time are spelled out
in detail; for one-time activities such as PGP key setup, the reader is
referred elsewhere.

The idea is that first-time release managers must familiarize themselves with
the issues involved by consulting expansive Apache documentation, but once
that preparation has been completed and the RM is up-to-speed, our release
guide serves as a succinct enumeration of the actions required to perform a
release -- hopefully just as useful on the third or fourth go-round as on the
first.

The guide currently refers to certain resources that do not yet exist:

    trunk/devel/bin/update_version
    http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/lucy/KEYS
    http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/lucy/
    http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/lucy/
    download links from the Lucy website

We should work to produce all of these except possibly the archival folder
before starting the release process.

Marvin Humphrey