lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Build from top dir
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:23:18 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 12/8/10 12:38 PM:

> Since IMO it would be confusing to have "sample" directories both at the top
> level and within host language dirs, I think the new destination for the
> corpus should be $dist_root/corpora/us_constitution/ -- which would be found
> at the top level of both the ASF release and the downstream packages.  The
> word "corpora" is kind of esoteric, but oh well.

-1 to esoteric.

how about "sample_docs" ?

> MANIFEST is a little more annoying.  I got tired of forgetting to update
> MANIFEST and started autogenerating it at dist build time, living with
> warnings when building from SVN checkout.  However, if the ASF release is just
> a snapshot of the repository, we'd also get those warnings when building from
> the official tarball, which is less cool.  And Build.PL needs MANIFEST
> immediately nearby -- i.e. at trunk/perl/MANIFEST, so trunk/MANIFEST won't do.
> Do we really have to start maintaining trunk/perl/MANIFEST, and do we need
> another one at the top level?  Maybe we need a "prepare_commit" build target
> which verifies that various MANIFEST files are up-to-date, or something.  I
> guess until there's a plan, I'll put this one off...

fwiw, I also tire of perl MANIFEST upkeep. I now do this:

 % make manifest && make dist

and I have a MANIFEST.SKIP file, e.g.:

 http://perl.peknet.com/browser/Search-Tools/trunk/MANIFEST.SKIP

since I find it easier to blacklist files I do *not* want rather than keep up
with files I *do* want.

> Lastly, thinking about non-Perl downstream distros like PyPI, PEAR, etc...
> we'll autogenerate all files which depend on Clownfish (and therefore Perl) at
> *dist* build time.  Thus, you'll still need Perl to build Lucy from the
> official Apache source release, but if you obtain Lucy from a dist channel
> like PyPI, you won't.

+1