lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Downstream release guides
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 03:37:14 GMT
On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 07:57:37PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> Marvin Humphrey wrote on 12/16/10 6:31 PM:
> > Greets,
> >
> > In addition to <http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseGuide>, which documents
how
> > to perform the official ASF release, I think we should document how to build
> > releases for CPAN, PyPI, rubygems, etc.  We could put that into developer
> > documentation within trunk/$host_language/
>
> +1
>
> trunk/$host_language/README.build

Hmm, this is developer documentation, but it seems to me that users will think
a "README.build" file at the top level of their distro is something they need
to read in order to "build" Lucy.  I think we should hide this away.

For the Perl host, how about stuffing this info into
trunk/perl/buildlib/Lucy/Build.pm as POD?  The "dist" target defined in
Build.pm will be integral to this enterprise, after all.  And for Python,
somewhere in setup.py, for Ruby somewhere in the Rakefile, etc.

Dev docs can always be moved elsewhere, so we're not making an important
decision.

> > On a side note, I'm a little uneasy about putting so much effort into these
> > wiki pages when we haven't got them locked down so that only people with CLAs
> > on file can contribute.  It would be nice to get this material Apache licensed
> > and IP tracked so that we can include it, in whole or in part, with a
> > distribution.  Maybe we should revisit MoinMoin ACLs?
> >

> What precedents are there for distributing wiki docs with source?

Once there's a contribution to a wiki doc that's not IP clean, it can't be
licensed to the ASF and therefore is no longer a candidate for future
distribution.  By bringing these docs into the Subversion repository, our CLAs
would kick in, so that's one option.  Alternately, we can lock down the wiki,
or parts of it, so that only individuals on an approved list (all of whom
would have CLAs on file) can contribute to certain pages.

MoinMoin supports access control, and we discussed how to do this a while
back.  Since then, it was discussed on the infrastructure@ list, in the
context of preventing wikispam.  If we want to have an access control on the
Lucy wiki, it's feasible.

Marvin Humphrey