lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Website in Apache CMS
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:42:18 GMT
Greets,

I've started to get the Lucy website set up in the new Apache CMS.

    http://lucy.staging.apache.org/lucy/

I've also been trying to help out Infra with this tool, by volunteering to put
together a HowTo.

    http://markmail.org/message/jk426a4ssssiqr3o

Right now, the style/design pretty much mirrors what's at the main Apache
site.  I'd like that to continue -- there's no need for us to expend resources
crafting a lavish graphic identity for the Lucy project.

(Some people within the ASF aren't that happy with the way the Apache site
looks right now, but I'll leave it to them to fix things up and then we can
apply/inherit their mods.  IMO, it's good enough.)

However, in terms of site organization, I think we can do better.  The old
Forrest-based site layout made a lot of sense.  Forrest was designed
specifically for creating project websites, and we benefitted from their hard
work.  The old Lucy website is no longer accessible, but the Lucene folks
haven't finished transitioning either, and for reference, their current site
is Forrest-based: <http://lucene.apache.org/>.

I like this multi-page site hierarchy:

    welcome/overview/news/home
    mailing lists
    downloads
    who we are

... with links to wiki and documentation, and links to the main ASF pages for
security, license, thanks, etc.

If there are no objections, I'll start moving the site in that direction.

Marvin Humphrey