lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Index modernizer
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:48:54 GMT
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> Maybe write the cookbook recipe for upgrading KS to Lucy, and then we can
>> see if it needs to be formalized into a part of the core?
>
> OK, sounds like the cookbook approach is feasible and prudent.  We don't
> technically *need* the modernizer until we decide to drop support for an old
> format, though.

Since I'm catching up on this list today:  Even without the italics,
you don't need the modernizer *at all*.  No one has to make the
transition, they can keep using the software they've been using, so
you're not hurting them by not making it automatic.

It feels like generous severance pay for fired executives.  In theory,
it helps you hire the next person if they see how well you treated the
outgoing one. In practice, it tends to look like wasted money that
could be better spent.  Yes, you want to treat your existing users
well, but be careful about spending to much effort on them and not
enough on improving the product.   Concentrate most of your efforts on
the 10x as many new users you hope to have and provide them with the
best experience you can.

It's open source software.  Perhaps the automated solution could be
provided to the community by someone who needs it, rather than by the
main developer?  At least you could wait for their plaintive wailing.
Unless of course you need it internally, in which case it would be a
great thing for you to be working on.  But if you were to make it
automatic and easy, I'd concentrate more on automatic imports from
Lucene than from KS. :)

--nate